Dahl Fellowships honour the memory of Bjarne K Dahl. They provide an opportunity for talented and deserving Australians to undertake a project related to eucalypts that is not readily fundable elsewhere.
Fellowships will be awarded to individual applicants for individual projects that advance the goals of Eucalypt Australia.
Priority areas for Fellowships are not limited to, but include: art and literature; development of eucalypt education resources, including indigenous cultural resources; and conservation initiatives.
Fellows are required to submit a report at the completion of their Fellowship, using the Dahl Fellowship Completion Report template (Word document).
- Applicants must be Australian citizens.
- Applicants must have an active ABN.
For auditing purposes, Eucalypt Australia only makes awards to applicants with an ABN. If you do not have an ABN you can apply with the Australian Taxation Office, or nominate someone with an ABN who is willing to act as administrator of your Fellowship.
- Applicants need to demonstrate experience in and commitment to the field of their project. There are no prescribed qualifications.
- Tertiary level student projects (including at Masters and PhD level) will be not be funded.
Applications will be assessed, based on:
- Need for the project
- Benefits of the project
- How the project builds on the applicant’s current expertise or experience
- Impact and sustainability: how the project will have impact after the Fellowship concludes
- The ability and commitment to disseminate the project outcomes
- References: a) Project Reference, b) Personal Reference
- Curriculum Vitae
- Interview. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview. This may be conducted by telephone or Skype.
- Eligibility – check the criteria to ensure that you are eligible.
- Priority Areas – ensure your proposal fits with Eucalypt Australia’s priorities. Please don’t try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
- Acronyms – assume we don’t know what they mean.
- Budget – double-check that your figures add up and your request reflects the full cost of the project.
- Be specific – we recommend that you don’t generalise. Include specific facts and figures.
- Word limits – it is important we understand your project but please stick to the word limits.
- References – we recommend you don’t draft the references for your referees. If they are genuine about supporting your work, they should be able to write the letter themselves.
Why do I need an ABN?
Eucalypt Australia only awards grants to individuals or organisations with an ABN. The name of the applicant should match the name of the ABN and the name of the bank account into which the Fellowship will be paid.
If you cannot provide an ABN and bank account that are in the same name as the applicant, you will need to nominate an individual or organisation with an ABN who can be the administrator of your Fellowship.
What does the Fellowship cover?
The Fellowship covers costs associated with your project such as salary, materials, and travel.
Can I use the Fellowship to add to support from other sources?
Fellowships are aimed at supporting projects that are not readily fundable. However, we would consider co-contributions.
When will I know the outcome of my application?
You will be notified by 30 September 2022 for 2023 Fellowships.
Are there obligations if a Fellowship is awarded?
A Fellowship is subject to the Fellow agreeing to be bound by the conditions laid down in a contract document. The Fellowship is to be completed in the calendar year that it is awarded for.
How and when will I be paid?
After notification of success, a contract will be sent to you. You will be asked to submit a tax invoice with the signed contract. The full amount of your Fellowship will be paid into your nominated bank account within 30 days of receiving the signed contract and tax invoice, but no earlier than 1 December 2022 for 2023 fellowships.
Can a Fellowship be part-time?
Yes, a fellowship can be undertaken part-time but must be completed by the end of the calendar year it was awarded for.
Do I have to start my Fellowship by a specific date?
No. You can start anytime in the calendar year it is awarded for.
What are the tax implications?
Eucalypt Australia has no responsibility for the tax liability of a Fellow. Income tax is a matter for decision by the Commissioner of Taxation. It is recommended Fellows seek independent advice with respect to taxation.
Should I include GST in my budget?
If you are GST registered when you receive a Fellowship, Eucalypt Australia will pay the Fellowship amount plus GST. The budget provided in your application should be exclusive of GST.
What do you classify as Eucalyptus trees?
The genera Eucalyptus, Corymbia, Angophora, Allosyncarpia and Stockwellia all fit under Eucalypt Australia’s classification of Eucalyptus trees.
- The Grantee will supply a tax invoice to Eucalypt Australia in order for the grant to be paid. The invoice should include an ABN and name on the bank account provided must match the ABN.
- The Grantee will provide a receipt for the grant amount within 30 days of receipt of payment.
- The Grantee will use the whole of the Grant exclusively for the project as described in the application and not for any other purpose.
- The Grantee must promptly advise Eucalypt Australia of any material change which may affect the Grantee’s ability to undertake or complete the Project within the time schedule specified in the application.
- The Grantee will expend the grant for charitable purposes within Australia.
- The Grantee must keep detailed financial records to enable the use of grant funds to be checked readily.
- The Grantee will acknowledge the support of Eucalypt Australia in published or display material that relates to the project.
- The Grantee must submit a final report and financial acquittal when the project is completed. The report is due within 30 days of the completion date specified in the Fellowship Agreement.
- The Fellowship is subject to termination if the Board of the Bjarne K Dahl Trust is of the opinion that continuance is not justified in accordance with the aims and objectives of Eucalypt Australia.
As well as the above Standard Grant Conditions, the Trust may set additional specific conditions as advised in writing in the Fellowship approval letter. These may include a completion date and specific milestones to be achieved.
It would be appreciated if Grantees provide photographs of the project that Eucalypt Australia may use. If photographs are provided, it will be assumed that all rights, consents, licenses and permissions have been obtained prior to submitting the images. Images should include appropriate captions, names of people pictured and any acknowledgements required. The provision of information and images will be taken as permission to reproduce and publish.
To apply for a Dahl Fellowship you must complete the following three forms:
- Dahl Fellowship Application Form (Word document)
- Dahl Fellowship Professional-Personal Reference (Word document)
- Dahl Fellowship Project Reference (Word document)
Save your application as a PDF and email to [email protected]
You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been received. The office is staffed part-time so the response may not be immediate.
- Applications open – Monday, 20 June 2022
- Applications close – Sunday 14 August 2022, midnight AEST
- Notification of outcomes – friday, 30 September 2022
- Fellowship to be undertaken – during 2023